Welcome to part 2 (really week 2) of love your oatmeal week! Yes, that makes it more than a week of love your oatmeal. I just kept thinking of yummy taste combinations I want to try. This week will have at least a few international flavors that aren’t often seen in your morning oatmeal.
I love Indian food and eat it whenever possible. Carrot Halwa is a thick paste of carrot, sugar and cardamom that’s sometimes topped with saffron and pistachios.
If you’re not sure if you’re a fan of cardamom, just use 1/2 teaspoon instead of a whole teaspoon. You can always add more before serving.
- ½ cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1 cup organic carrots, chopped fine or shredded fine
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sweetener (I used agave)
- For serving: a pinch of saffron and chopped pistachios
- The night before: Spray your 1½ or 2 quart crock with some oil to help with clean up later. Add oats, So Delicious Coconut Milk, carrots, and cardamom. Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
- In the morning: Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency.
- Stir in agave or other sweetener and the saffron if you're using it. Top each serving with 1 teaspoon of pistachios and a pinch of saffron if you're feeling particularly rich).