Allyson Kramer is letting me share her Carrot Applesauce Cake recipe from her latest book, Sweet Eats for All. This book is jam-packed with 250 recipes (all gluten-free and vegan). You can see some of Allyson’s signature photography here, and that always makes me get in the mood to bake.
Be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this post and enter a chance to win a copy of your own.
Her book is full of a variety of dessert recipes – including cakes, cookies and bars, pies, tarts, cheesecakes, ice cream and sorbet, puddings and custards, chocolates and candies. If that’s not enough for you, there’s a whole chapter of refined sugar-free treats. If you can’t find something you want to make at first glance you probably don’t have a sweet tooth at all!
The first chapter talks you through putting together a gluten-free pantry. Allyson tells you about all the flours and binders she uses in the book, as well as possible substitutions. She discusses tools, and gives you recipes for staples (which you all know is one of my favorite parts of any cookbook).
If a friend or family member eats gluten-free, or if you do, this is a book you’ll want on your shelf.
Carrot Applesauce Cake from Sweet Eats for All
Soy Free - Nut Free - Corn Free - Bean Free This cake is delightfully fragrant and tender with the comforting flavor of apples and a lovely subtle color from the carrots. Use any type of sugar you’d like. I love the standard evaporated cane juice . . . but light brown or coconut palm sugar would bake up nicely, too. Reprinted with permission from DaCapo Press
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and (sorghum) flour a standard-size tube or Bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the buckwheat flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, xanthan gum, sea salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Stir in the olive oil, applesauce, and lemon juice until well mixed and a thick batter has formed. Fold in the shredded carrots and evenly spread the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake on the center rack for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 20 minutes before gently running a knife around the edge and inverting onto a flat serving dish.
- Store covered up to 2 days.
Be sure to enter below for a chance to win a copy of your own. Then you can plan baking for next year!