Every day this hot spell slows me down a little more. Where I live where it’s usually too hot for 2 weeks, not 2 months. But today, I’m determined to be in a good mood no matter what! How? I’m planning a nice relaxing dinner at home is my starting point. In the heat, preparing as much as I can ahead of time really motivates me to cook instead of just thinking about it.
For this Quick and Easy Vegan Broccoli with Spicy Garlic Sauce Recipe, you can make the garlic sauce in the morning and even prepare the broccoli the night before if you want. If you are using frozen broccoli, you can even thaw it out in the fridge to speed up dinner a little more. Just think about it, once the sauce is made, you only have to deal with 2 other ingredients when you come home!
I’ve been turning to my book, The Easy Vegan Cookbook, a ton this season. One of my favorite chapters is the Speedy Stir-frys. This Quick and Easy Vegan Broccoli with Spicy Garlic Sauce Recipe is from it, as well as Orange Ginger Cauliflower, Pepper Portabella, Szechuan Eggplant and Ann Oliverio’s Vegetable Fried Rice with Tofu.
What are your go-to recipes to make takeout style dishes at home? Let me know in the comments.
Quick and Easy Vegan Broccoli with Spicy Garlic Sauce
This is my favorite Chinese take-out dish. The broccoli makes it virtuous, but the spicy garlic sauce is what keeps me coming back for more. It's easier than you think to make at home, and you can make it as spicy as you want! Lots of cooking options on this to make it suitable for everyone: gluten-free option*, soy-free option**, no oil added option***
for the sauce
- 1/2 cup (118g) vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) soy sauce (*use a gluten-free brand or **use coconut aminos instead)
- 2 tablespoons (40g) agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) sesame oil (***use tahini or leave out)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, depending on how you like it
- 1 to 2 tablespoons (15-30ml) olive oil or vegetable oil (***water saute instead)
- 6 cups broccoli florets ( or 1- 1 lb/454g bag frozen)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a measuring cup and set aside.
- Heat the oil (***or water) in a wok or large saute pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot add the broccoli and saute until they start to soften, about 3 to 5 minutes (depending on the size of the florets)
- Mix in all but 2 tablespoons of the sauce. Then stir the cornstarch into the leftover sauce until there are no lumps then add that to the pan. Cook until the sauce thickens, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
- If you like yours extra-saucy go ahead and make a double batch of the sauce. Also, try making this with thin Japanese eggplant cut into strips or even with a mix of veggies and tofu cubes.