This recipe for the perfect Autumn Salad is from Zsu Dever’s first cookbook, Everyday Vegan Eats. Her second book, Vegan Bowls, comes out September 15. I’ll be posting a recipe from it later this month.
This salad is full of so many of my favorite flavors. It has beets, cabbage, dried figs, brown rice, and an assortment of greens. It’s a bonus that it is covered in a creamy horseradish maple dressing.
This is not a light salad from the middle of summer, but a hearty one with a bite from the horseradish. I recommend eating it on your deck as the sun sets on the first day you can wear a sweater. Add a hearty slice of warmed bread, a glass of red wine and maybe a bowl of soup. Fall can’t come soon enough for me!
What’s your favorite way to do salad when the cooler weather sets in?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound golden or red beets, peeled and cut into ¾-inch dice
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- ½ head medium red cabbage, cored and shredded
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons drained prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1½ cups cooked and cooled long-grain brown rice
- 10 dried figs, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 2 cups baby kale or arugula
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the beets, season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook the beets, stirring frequently, until they are golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add ¼ cup water to the skillet, cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook the beets until they are tender, about 7 more minutes. Transfer the beets to a medium bowl.
- Stir half of the shredded cabbage into the same skillet. Season with salt and black pepper, cover, and cook over medium heat until tender and completely wilted, about 7 minutes. Stir occasionally. Transfer the cooked cabbage to the medium bowl with the beets.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, oil, horseradish, vinegar, maple syrup, and salt and black pepper to taste. Mix well with a whisk and set aside.
- Combine half of the dressing with the beets, cabbage, rice, and figs and toss to mix.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the kale, spinach, and shredded raw cabbage with just enough dressing to coat. Season with salt and black pepper and toss to combine.
- To serve, divide the kale mixture among either 2 or 4 plates and top with equal amounts of rice mixture.