Whole grain apple walnut bars with a little apple brandy to help you celebrate fall! So grab an apple bar, a sweater and sit on the deck awhile. You can even bring out a hot spiked tea in case you get chilly while you watch the leaves fall.
It’s apple week over at Key Ingredient and I’m still stuck on brown baked goods! On the bright side, these homely squares are full of whole grains in the form of whole wheat pastry flour, ground flax seed and rolled oats. Why whole wheat pastry flour? It’s a more palatable form of whole wheat flour coming from a variety of wheat that is softer and contains less gluten. It’s the gateway whole wheat flour and your family won’t even notice you sneaking in to their baked treats.
Apple Walnut Bars (with Apple Brandy)
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup apple brandy
- 1 tablespoon ground flax mixed with 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a brownie pan or other rectangle baking pan.
- Mix the wet ingredients in a small bowl and the dry ingredients in a larger bowl. Then our the wet into the dry with the apples and walnuts.
- Pour mixture into pan and cook for 30 to 45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. (Also the middle will feel solid when you lightly touch it.)
- Let it cool for about 10 to 15 minutes then cut into squares and enjoy!