Many of you know my friend, Ann Oliverio, from her blog, An Unrefined Vegan or The Virtual Vegan Potluck. Her first book, Crave Eat Heal comes out this spring and is full of healthy recipes likes these Lentil & Bok Choy Sweet Potato Nachos.
Ann’s a sweetheart and when she heard how sick I’ve been she came to my rescue by letting me share one of her recipes from the new book. It’s gluten-free, soy-free and no oil added recipe. She says that you can use a vegan cheddar sauce as an add-on, and I suggest my Creamy Vegetable-based Vegan Cheese Sauce, you can leave out the cashews to make it even healthier.
You can also use tortilla chips in place of the sweet potatoes. I love that she caters to special diets and substitutions.
Annie's Lentil & Bok Choy Sweet Potato Nachos
We go through a lot of sweet potatoes in our household. Versatile, full of flavor, nutritious, and quick-cooking. The ultimate...junk food! The bok choy adds a nice crunch and color. If you're not a fan of sweet potatoes, use tortilla chips as a base instead. Gluten-free. Oil-free. Easy.
- water or low-sodium vegetable broth, for sautéing
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. chile powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 cups cooked French lentils
- 1 10-ounce (283g) can Original Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 3 cups chopped fresh bok choy or other green
- Chopped Lalamata olives
- Pickled jalapeno Slices
- Cheddar cheez Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425-degrees and lightly spray a large baking sheet with cooking oil. Set aside. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion and bell pepper in a splash of vegetable broth. Cook for about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the tomato paste through garlic powder and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add the lentils and tomatoes and simmer the mixture for about 15 minutes. Add vegetable broth or water if the mixture becomes dry.
- While the lentil mixture cooks, bake the sweet potatoes. Place the slices of sweet potato on the baking sheet and lightly spray them with cooking oil. Sprinkle with ground black pepper and smoked paprika, if desired. Bake the slices for 10 minutes, then turn them over and bake the other side for an additional 3-5 minutes or until soft and beginning to brown and crisp around the edges.
- Stir the bok choy into the lentil mixture and cook until just wilted. You still want to have a little bite to the greens. Divide the sweet potatoes between four plates, top with the lentil-bok choy mixture and add your favorite nacho toppings.
Take a look at even more of Ann’s great recipes from Crave Eat Heal: