Here’s another inexpensive coffee house frozen drink. When I’m super busy and a little stressed out I tend to get a frappe on my way to work. It’s an expensive and unhealthy habit. Once I catch up a little I always go back to making my own.
This takes about 10 minutes, has less sugar than the one from the chain, and can even be made completely sugar-free by using unsweetened So Delicious Almond Plus Milk.
Another plus is that it isn’t made with the unreadable ingredients of artificially flavored syrups in those pretty colored bottles that are usually full of artificial coloring too. Beyond that, they truly taste better when you make them yourself!
The one thing that you need to plan ahead for is making the cold brewed coffee concentrate. You can make it on the weekend and use it all week long. There is very little hands on time and it cold brews by sitting out overnight while you sleep. (My favorite way to make food!)
You can buy a toddy maker if you drink a lot of iced coffee, but a French press works great for a smaller amount of concentrate. However, you can make the larger batch and freeze the coffee concentrate in ice cube trays.
Almond Joy Cheap-o-chino
- 1/4 cup cold brewed coffee concentrate (or 1 cup (250ml) regular brewed coffee)
- 1 cup Vanilla So Delicious Almond Plus Milk
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes (I used reduced fat)
- 1 heaping tablespoon cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Nu-stevia, or your favorite sweetener to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum or 1 teaspoon pectin (do not leave out - it holds it together!)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups ice
- In a blender add everything except for the xanthan gum and ice. Blend until smooth.
- Add xanthan gum (or pectin) and ice then blend. Depending on your blender you may have to add the ice ½ cup at a time. I have a really powerful one so I can blend it all in at once.
- You can add more almond milk if it's too thick or add more ice if it's too thin.