It’s getting close to Valentine’s Day – are you ready? If you or someone you want to give a treat to is avoiding sugar, this recipe for Lavender Rose Baked Donuts is for you.
These donuts are the perfect Valentine’s breakfast, afternoon snack, or even a cute dessert. The best part is, you won’t feel deprived at all. Each mini-donut only has 47 calories and 1.4 grams of sugar.
I used cornstarch as my powder base because it’s used in regular powdered sugar. You should be able to use arrowroot or another base, but you can buy organic cornstarch that is not GMO.
I also ground some culinary rose petals and mixed into my homemade powdered stevia to give it a slight pink tint.
Lavender Rose Baked Donuts
You can use the sweetener of your choice, to taste in place of the stevia and/or agave. I like to add a little agave along with stevia to provide a rounder mouth-feel
- 3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dry stevia or 10 drops liquid stevia
- 1/4 teaspoon lavender extract
- 1/4 teaspoon rosewater
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the wet ingredients in one bowl and the dry in another. Spray your mini donut pan with a little oil so they will be easier to get out.
- Then add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just until it's mixed. Divide the batter between the 12 donut molds. Bake in pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.
- Let them cool for 5 to 10 minutes, then carefully remove. (If you don't wait they will stick to the pan even though you oiled it.)
- Take donut by the top and dip the bottom into the rose powdered stevia (recipe below). You may have to rub it in a bit to get it to stick.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon stevia (Nu-Stevia brand)
- 1 teaspoon rosewater
- Add cornstarch and stevia together and mix. Add in the rosewater little at a time so it makes little balls instead of one big mess in the center. Mix with a spoon or in a mortar and pestle until it's finely ground and looks like powdered sugar.
Be sure to take a look at my Baked Almond Donuts with Chocolate Glaze and Lemon Donuts with Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting – they are all sweetened with stevia too!