This recipe for Mushroom Ginger Steel-Cut Oat Congee comes from OATrageous Oatmeals. I bet you already guessed that, right?
What’s congee? Tradidiotnally it’s a thick stew made of rice that’s cooked with extra water to create a porridge. Oats do the same thing here and I think add a bit more texture.
Serves: 2 servings
- 3 cups (710 ml) vegetable broth or vegan chick’n broth
- ½ cup (48 g) rolled oats
- ½ cup (35 g) minced mushrooms (shiitakes are great)
- ¼ cup (27 g) minced carrot or sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon (6 g) grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- salt, to taste
- hot pepper flakes, to taste
- Bring the broth, oats, mushrooms and minced carrot or sweet potato to a boil in a medium pot.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and add in the ginger, soy sauce and vinegar. Cook for 15 to 20
- minutes until the oats are cooked and the stew becomes thick.
- Before serving, add salt to taste and spice with hot pepper flakes.
Here’s what some of my favorite authors had to say about OATrageous Oatmeals:
“Kathy Hester has done it again. In this fabulous new cookbook she transforms the modest little oat from understated to remarkable!” -Allyson Kramer, author of Sweet Eats for All and Great Gluten-Free Vegan Eats
“Wow! I’m so impressed with this new cookbook! Kathy definitely takes the “ho-hum” out of oatmeal. In addition to the breakfast staples, breads and desserts made with oats, you will find homemade pantry staples for vegan cooking, gorgeous soups and hearty stews, burgers, meatless loaves—all made with lots of international flair and very little fat. Honestly, I can’t wait to cook my way through this book!”—Bryanna Clark Grogan, author of World Vegan Feast; vegan chef and cooking teacher; blogger
“If you thought oats were just for breakfast or cookies, prepare to be dazzled. Kathy Hester has taken the humble grain to new heights in this collection of savory and sweet oat recipes that include blackberry mojito refrigerator oats, steel-cut oat sausage crumbles, oat dosas with coconut chutney, and much more.” —Robin Robertson, bestselling author of Vegan Planet, Quick-Fix Vegan, One-Dish Vegan and many more
“I absolutely adore Kathy Hester’s amazingly creative and delicious recipes using oats. She will have you thinking of oats in brand new ways, and you will suddenly want to buy them in bulk. Thank you, Kathy!” —Julie Hasson, author of Vegan Casseroles, Vegan Pizza, Vegan Diner and more