When the Watermelon Board asked me to create a drink for National Drink Watermelon Day I actually squealed a little! I’m a huge watermelon fan and have been ever so slightly obsessed with it this summer.
July 24 is considered the hottest day of the year and NWPB (National Watermelon Promotion Board) is proclaiming it as “National Drink Watermelon Day!” and a day to improve hydration habits across America.
Make sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post to get the recipe for my Watermelon Lemon-Balm Mint Cooler. Be sure to enter to win one of five watermelon shopping bags in the giveaway too.
I was just on vacation and it’s so easy to get dehydrated. Remember that watermelon is 92 percent water and the perfect ingredient to boost your hydration. Watermelon juice, watermelon smoothies and even a few mocktails will have you back in shape quick!
My drink recipe uses a base of watermelon juice. No juicer is needed and it’s super easy. You just put chunks of watermelon in the blender, puree and strain through a fine mesh strainer. Voila – watermelon juice!
This is a unique watermelon drink. It’s not a very sweet drink even with the stevia. It has a very strong herbal flavor that reminds me of a liqueur like Campari or Aperol. They are both slightly bitter, but in the good way. You could compare it to some of the new dry sodas or even add sparkling water and make it a soda! This drink is at home as an aperitif before a fancy meal or just a great way to escape the heat that’s not too sweet.
Serves: 4 cups
- 4 cups watermelon juice**
- ¼ cup lemon balm leaves (can sub lemon verbena leaves or use ½ of each)
- ¼ cup mint leaves - I prefer a mix of peppermint and orange mint
- 15 drops liquid stevia, optional
- Add the watermelon juice, lemon balm and mint in a blender. Blend until as smooth as possible.
- There will still be tiny bits of herbs in the mixture so strain those out through a fine mesh strainer.
- Serve cold, on ice or with a splash of soda to mellow the flavor out a bit.
- ** To make the watermelon juice take about 6 cups of chopped watermelon and blend until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh strainer.
This is my favorite stevia.
Don’t forget to pre-order OATrageous Oatmeals! See here for the pre-order promotion.