Here’s a quick and easy slow cooker stew that makes about 2 to 3 servings. I love using my small slow cooker and it was really fun testing the limits of it last year when I was writing Vegan Slow Cooking for Two. (You can double or triple this recipe and use a larger slow cooker if you’d prefer.)
Like many of my favorite dishes this is not the prettiest, but it is full of flavor and takes very little effort which is way better than looks, to me. It’s a perfect dish to throw together before work in the morning. Conversely you can throw in in the slow cooker before you go to bed and pack it in a thermos in the morning to take to work for lunch!
Vary the veggies depending on what you have on hand. Turnips, carrots or sweet potatoes would be great in this and a handful of chopped greens can be stirred in at the end to add a nutrition boost.
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes cut in quarters
- ½ cup chopped potato
- ½ cup red lentils
- ½ cup brown lentils
- ½ cup channa dal (or sub yellow split peas)
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon chili flakes, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Throw everything into the slow cooker and cook on low 7 to 10 hours.
- Before serving taste and see if you need to re-add any more spices and salt to taste. I usually use ground at this stage instead of whole spices.