Still picking zucchini and summer squash out of your garden? Here’s one more way to serve it up and it’s super easy! The best part – it cooks in your rice cooker so you can sit on your deck and enjoy fall while it’s cooking!
Perfectly cooked brown rice seasoned with Mexican herbs and spices makes a great base for any meal. Add a can of drained and rinsed black beans to make it a complete meal. The best part is it cooks in your rice cooker. That way you can sit on your deck or do a few chores while it cooks.
Summer Squash Pilaf: A Rice Cooker Recipe
soy-free, gluten-free and no added oil
- 2 cups long grain brown rice (use the measure that came with your rice cooker!)
- water filled to the 2nd line in your rice cooker
- 2 cups shredded mixed summer squash
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
Add everything except for salt and pepper into your rice cooker. Cook on brown rice setting if you have it.
Once it beeps that it’s done add salt and pepper and taste. Adjust any of the seasonings to make it just the way you like it.