My favorite last minute meal is a few tortilla chips served up with a cup of queso. If you’re tired of spending a fortune on jars of vegan queso this is the recipe for you.The base recipe is mild, but you can spice it up to suit your taste.
The beans create a stable base and the cashews add a richness that’s so creamy you might not believe it’s really dairy-free. The nutritional yeast adds the cheesy flavor. On top of that you can add some elements from your favorite queso like tomatoes, hot peppers from your summer garden, or even some chopped cilantro. It’s all up to you.
Vegan Cashew-Bean Queso
makes about 4 cups
- 1½ cups cooked white beans (or 1 -15 ounce can white beans rinsed and drained)
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup So Delicious Coconut milk (unsweetened is best)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons green chilis, to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ to 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- a few slices of pickled or fresh jalapeño, optional
Add everything into a food process or blender and process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Feel free to add hot chili powder to get more heat in.
Also if you’d prefer a thinner sauce add an additional 1/2 cup nondairy milk. Now you can put this in your slow cooker to heat up so you can enjoy your party!