DIY All Natural Vegan Carrot Dogs

In keeping with my cheap theme this week, these are the least expensive vegan hot dogs you may ever eat. Organic carrots are always affordable and you can even get some at your farmers market soon if not right now!

This may sound like one of my weirdest recipes, but trust me, it really works. I read about someone eating a carrot dog on a vacation and they raved about it. I was fairly skeptical, but I loved the idea of having carrots in place of the much processed veggie dog.

Obviously a carrot is the same shape and close enough in color to make a decent hot dog substitute. But the real question is about the taste. The marinade really takes it to the next level. I think the sesame oil does it, but the vinegar gives it that “cured” flavor too.

All Natural Carrot Dogs
soy-free gluten-free
serves 4 but can be easily doubled or even tripled.

• 4 carrots (cut into bun lengths)
  • 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar and a dash of salt)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (can sub soy sauce but use unseasoned vinegar)
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1/2 clove garlic minced)
  • a dash or two liquid smoke
  • pepper to taste

Fill a pot about half-way full of water, heat it on high until it boils. Turn down to medium heat and add the carrots. Cook until you can just pierce it through with a fork. You want it to still have a snap when you eat it. Run cold water over them to stop them from cooking more.

Combine the other ingredients to make the marinade. Use a container that has a tight lid so you can easily shake it without spraying it all over your kitchen. Marinate at least 3 to 4 hours, though they are fine for almost 2 days.

Put the carrots in the container and marinade for a few hours to up to a few days. If you marinate them longer they take on more of the vinegar flavor. If the carrots are very skinny I would not marinade them for more than 1 1/2 days so they don’t taste too sour.

To serve heat the carrots in a 350 degree oven or on in a grill pan on a hot grill until heated through. It should take about 10 to 15 minutes.

Serve in a toasted hot dog bun with your favorite toppings. They’re great the southern way  topped with chili and cole slaw! Prep these on a weekend and you’re ready for a quick weeknight treat.

You could also cook them in your slow cooker in the marinade. You will need to check on them so they do not get mushy, so it’s not an overnight or all day affair. If they get mushy when you re-heat them it will make a mess. Cook until a fork just goes through the carrot, but the carrot is still slightly firm.

Get posts in your email:

Comments

1. says

hmm… I’ll try these.. as odd as they sounded at first, the idea of eating these compared to whatever lingers in hot dogs is much more appealing to me .. thanks for the recipe :)

• Kathy Hester says

Lisa – here’s the slaw recipe:

Oh So Delicious Cole Slaw Dressing
      soy-free gluten-free

1/2 cup vegan mayo
      1/2 cup Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut milk
      1 teaspoon agave
      salt and pepper to taste

Whisk everything together and mix in with shredded cabbage and carrots. I used a yellow carrot with green and red cabbage and minced it even more in the food processor. (You can vary the veggies to make your own version. Try Swiss chard, collards, or even kale.)

2. Melissa says

Thanks for this recipe! I have been looking for one for quite some time that sounded this good.

I have had carrot dogs at a friend’s BBQ once a long time ago and have been trying to come up with it on my own … with no success.

3. Connie Fletcher says

I’m sooooo excited!!! I really must confess…I love Hot Dogs. They aren’t exactly vegan though. These sound wonderful..and although the carrots aren’t done yet, the marinade is and it tastes wonderful!! One question…is the Sesame oil toasted or not? I used tosted cuz that’s all I have on hand….

• Connie Fletcher says

WOW!!!! OMG!!! These are really A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

I am just about to start another batch…this time I will double it!! Yes, it is THAT GOOD!!! Thank you a million times (and then some) for this recipe!

• Connie Fletcher says

I just got your slow cooker book. Why did you not tell us all what a great book it is???? It is fabulous…and I have quite a collection of vegan books!!!! This one is a keeper!

• Kathy Hester says

I’m flattered and excited that you like it! You can always leave a review on Amazon if you get the chance and let everyone know how you feel ; )

4. Sharon says

I found your carrot dog recipe on Friday and have eaten them 3 out of the last 4 days … thank you for bringing hotdogs back into my life!! I’m wondering … could these be frozen after marinating, or would that change the texture of the carrot too much? Also … can the marinade be reused at time or two within the course of a week or so before being discarded? I’ll be enjoying these all year round! Thanks, again!

• Kathy Hester says

I haven’t frozen them so I’m not sure, but I think they might get mushy. If you are very careful with the marinade you can use it more than once in a week. Make sure you keep it in the fridge. Glad you like them as much as I do!