Sometimes you need a treat. A soothing, winter treat that can warm you up. That would be me last night. It’s finally feeling like winter and it’s all too easy to get the blahs. I’m making a warm slow cooker drink or dessert every night to keep my spirits up. Feel free to use natural flavored extracts, zest, or juice in this recipe if you don’t imbibe.
This modified toddy has a Sugar Cookie tea base that has roasted barley and vanilla. The barley makes it not gluten-free. Almond Sunset would be my next choice, but they don’t make it anymore.
You could also use a vanilla or almond tea as your base instead. I like that Celestial Seasonings Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride Tea is caffeine free – which is a requirement of mine for a night drink.
Just throw this together right before you serve dinner, and your “dessert” will be ready when you are. This is great to make for a dinner party, just triple the recipe and use a 4 to 5 quart slow cooker.
Serves: 2 (double or triple as needed)
- 1 teabag Celestial Seasonings Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride Tea
- 1½ cups water
- 1½ cups unsweetened vanilla or plain non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons apple brandy
- 2 teaspoons Amaretto
- 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier
- sweetener of choice, to taste (I used 1 teaspoon agave and ¼ teaspoon stevia)
- Place the teabags, water, and non-dairy milk in the slow cooker. Cook on high for about 1 to 2 hours or until hot. (You could also cook on low for about 3 hours.)
- Just before serving add liquors and sweetener.
- If you prefer a stronger drink you can double the amount of alcohol called for or add a shot of vanilla vodka.