For those of you not familiar with Southern food this is my (vegan) version of Shrimp and Grits. Traditionally it’s base is a spicy tomato based sauce with bell peppers. I’ve used chickpeas because they don’t break down as much as pinto beans or the like.
Of course there’s bacon in the original version, and doubly of course I have liquid smoke in my version. Big shock, right?
The spiciness often comes from Tabasco, but I like to add chipotle for its smoky notes as well as its heat. You can use either or both depending on your favorite taste.
I serve this over a big portion of grits. It’s a very filling dish and perfect for cold, winter nights. Feel free to add a heaping serving of veggies on the side to make it a well-rounded meal.
Originally I used Muir Glen diced tomatoes with chipotles already added in. Since then, it looks like they have been discontinued. But if you have a can or two of them in your pantry this is a great way to use them up.
Serves: 3 servings
- Slow Cooker Spicy Southern Chickpeas and Grits
- soy-free, gluten-free (make sure the grits are labeled gluten-free!)
- Makes 3 to 4 servings (when served over a pile of grits)
- **This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker 1½ to 2 quarts - you can double the recipe and use a 3½ to 4 quart slow cooker
- ½ cup bell pepper, chopped small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (can use ½ teaspoon garlic powder instead)
- 1½ cup cooked chickpeas (or 1 can rinsed)
- ½ cup water
- 1½ cups diced tomatoes (or 1 can Muir Glen diced tomatoes)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon chipolte powder, to taste
- A few dashes liquid smoke or smoked salt, to taste (Start small if you're not a fan of smoky foods or leave it out altogether.)
- Tabasco or other hot sauce, optional - use instead of chipolte powder or in addition to depending on your taste for heat
- salt and pepper, to taste
- The night before: Chop bell pepper, minced garlic and store in fridge.
- In the morning: Add all ingredients, except for the salt and pepper, to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 9 hours.
- Before serving: Taste, add salt and pepper, then re-season to your liking. You may need to add more liquid smoke or chipotle.
- Serve over slow cooker grits - recipe below:
- I make a double batch of grits in a larger slow cooker. The first time I made this I had more beans than grits and that didn't work as well. Also this way you can add in a few people if someone happens to drop by around dinner time.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 cup grits, yellow or white (Bob's Red Mill grits are labeled gluten-free)
- 2 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vegan chick'n bouillon
- salt and pepper to taste
- In the morning: Add all the ingredients to an oiled slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- cup grits, yellow or white (Bob's Red Mill grits are labeled gluten-free)
- cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- cup water
- teaspoon vegan chick'n bouillon
- salt and pepper to taste