Pink Kitchen’s Vegan Gingerbread Scones

I want you to know upfront that Lisa Grey’s Scone book is not a slow cooker book, though I have plans on trying to cook one of Lisa’s tasty scones recipes in the slow cooker sooner or later. I’ve linked to several of Pink Kitchen’s slow cooker recipes on my Facebook page when she posts a vegan one. But once I found out her Pink Kitchen Scone book was vegan, soy-free, and gluten-free I couldn’t help but share it here.

Gluten-free readers – I obviously didn’t check enough sources and got bad info. I’m so sorry for incorrectly stating that barley flour was gluten-free earlier! (Though I think you could sub gluten-free baking mix in any of her scone recipes.)

There are 21 original scone recipes both sweet and savory. She uses a unique combination of barley flour, refined coconut oil, and a specific brand of stevia called Nu Stevia. I wasn’t using any of these ingredients before Lisa sent me a copy of Pink Kitchen’s Scones to review. I have to admit I was skeptical at first, but I was won over by my very first batch.

These scones have a tender crumb, unlike the scones at many coffee shops. The NuStevia sweetens them perfectly – without the usual bitterness that can come by cooking with stevia.

I became a convert of NuStevia pretty quick and you can even send them a self-addressed stamped envelope and they will send you a free sample to try. At my local Whole Foods store they have sample packets that you can try as well.

I tried the apple pie scones and they were easy to make and delicious. Yesterday I made the gingerbread scones and they were awesome. They are the perfect healthy treat to make for the holiday season. Lisa has kindly agreed to share her recipe here, so go ahead and get the ingredients and make a batch yourself!

I’m also giving away a copy of her book this Friday and all you need to do is one or more of the following list. But make sure you leave a separate comment for each one you do – it’s the only way you will get your extra entries.

1. Leave a comment letting me know what sweetener you usually cook with.
  2. Like Pink Kitchen’s Facebook Page
  3. Follow Pink Kitchen on Twitter
  4. Tweet this message: Win a copy of the Scone Book by @PinkKitchen – just comment on this post http://wp.me/pLJaT-Ej by @geekypoet

Gingerbread Scones From Pink Kitchen’s Scone Book
soy-free, (Can be made gluten-free if your substitute gluten-free baking mix for the barley flour – as stated in intro text)
Serves 6 to 8

• 2 cups barley flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 packets NuStevia
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 cup refined coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
  • 1 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk
    (or plain with 1 teaspoon cocoa – this is my substitution not Lisa’s)
  • ground pink peppercorns for topping, optional

Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix in oil until dough becomes crumbly (begins to form large pieces). Stir in the molasses and all of the milk. If the dough is too dry, add only enough milk until the consistency is thick and sticky. Gently stir dough, only until ingredients are blended.

Place dough into a glass pie plate and shape into a large circle. Pat the top so it is somewhat flat. Lightly sprinkle pink pepper over top (optional). Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 45 – 60 minutes. Scones should be very firm to the touch. Let scones cool before cutting.

Comments

1. Rhonda Herbst says:

I usually use maple syrup or agave as my sweetener.

• Congratulations Nicole!!These scones were aboleutsly insane. When I first read the title I thought you were going to send some scones with the cookbook… and I was a little upset that I couldn’t just eat them instead.

2. Rhonda Herbst says:

I “liked” Pink Kitchen on Facebook

3. Though barley flour is wheat-free, it’s definitely not considered gluten-free. Just wanted to point that out so no unsuspecting person would be misled. Thanks!

4. oh wow, these look amazing! the texture of them looks soooo good!

5. I usually cook with sugar. Could regular sugar be substituted for the NuStevia?

6. Oh, and forgot to say, I also liked Pink Kitchen of FB. :)

7. Kimberle Davis says:

I usually use agave, but sometimes I use splenda or sugar.

8. I use a variety of things as sweeteners, from sugar (though I always use less than called for), maple syrup, molasses, and occasionally honey. I don’t like things baked with Splenda because it tastes odd to me. I look forward to trying NuStevia, though!

9. I just “Liked” Pink Kitchen on Facebook!

10. I love NuStevia! I’m excited to see this new cookbook because she bakes the way I do. I usually try to adapt recipes to be wheat-free and sugar-free. Typically I sub either barley flour or white spelt for wheat flour. To sweeten I cut the sugar amount in half and substitute with the same amount of agave. (I have to adjust the liquid to accomodate the agave.) Then I make up for the rest of the sweetness with NuStevia. It is truly the best tasting stevia out there. You need a miniscule amount to sweeten so you have to be careful not to over do it. I find that about 1 t equals 1 cup of sugar. I start out low and add more after I taste.

11. I’m a huge fan of maple syrup and turbinado sugar for baking. I love brown rice syrup but that one’s a bit too pricy for me.

12. Following on twitter Im @coniecone

13. Melissa K. says:

I have switched to using organic coconut sugar. I love the rich taste and usually use less than is called for in a recipe

14. Pink Kitchen says:

Love the comments, everyone :)
    Just a note – not all stevias work out equally well when you bake. (We found this out after trying several variations in our test kitchen). So if you’re going to try this with stevia, plsinvest in the NuStevia :)

15. Mary Lampkin says:

My favorite sweetener is maple syrup, but I also use agave or sugar (usually quite a bit less than recipe calls for) if the maple flavor would not be quite right.

16. Mary Lampkin says:

I liked Pink Kitchen on Facebook.

17. Marie Towells says:

I just found NuStevia in the states when I was there this summer and I love using it!

18. Now I’ll be on the hunt for barley flour! I so love gingerbread!

19. Oh…and I’m just a regular ole sugar gal.

20. Depends on what I’m cooking. Typically stevia or raw agave nectar