Saturday we had our annual Gothic dinner party and I have to say it was our best one yet! Everyone brought super yummy treats that they made themselves, and of course Cheryl transformed the house into an amazingly spooky haunted house.
I took today off work, but I’m trying to decide if I should be trying to put the house in order or get a head start on some recipe development and writing. Maybe I’ll take the dog for a walk and try to decide.
My vegan gluten-free main course was grit cake ghosts over slimy eyes, or black-eyed peas.
- 1 pound dry black-eyed peas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups of water, or enough to cover the beans and about 1 inch above
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, to taste
- a few drops liquid smoke
- hot pepper powder (chipotle etc.), to taste
- smoked salt and pepper, taste
- jalapeño salt, optional - to taste
- Tabasco, on the side for serving
- If you can find some jalapeño salt it really adds a special touch to this dish. I dusted it on top of my grit ghosts.