Slow Cooker Coconut Banana Pecan Coffee Cake Oatmeal

Sorry I missed posting the last 2 days. I have a confession to make. I spent those 2 days oatmeal-less. I cheated on my oatmeal with vegan sausage biscuits and I have to admit it was pretty darn tasty!

Of course, what really made it special was that I ate them on Halloween biscuits. I made 2 dozen Halloween biscuits for a mini Halloween shoot. It was the perfect excuse to decorate the dinner table early.

And now back to our regularly scheduled Friday oatmeal:

Slow Cooker Coconut Banana Pecan Coffee Cake Oatmeal

2 to 3 servings

**This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker that’s 1 1/2 to 2 quarts

• 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
  • 2 cups Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
  • 1/3 cup shredded coconut (I used reduced fat finely shredded)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract (optional adds a bigger coconut flavor)
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • sweeten to taste with your sweetener of choice (I used 1 packet Nu-Stevia)
  • Pecans, chopped – for serving

The night before: Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later. Add oats, milk, coconut, vanilla and coconut extract. Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).

In the morning: Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency.  Stir in mashed banana and sweetener. Top with chopped pecans

**(See Page Link on Menu Bar to get to Slow Cooker Oatmeal FAQS)

Comments

1. You’re back!! Don’t ever do that again, you hear me???

2. I won’t tell the oatmeal, if you don’t! ;) Sounds like you’re making up for it with this tasty recipe, though. Love the cute bowl, too!

3. I wonder what would happen if you put the banana in to roast overnight as well. Slow Cooker Coconut ROASTED Banana Pecan Coffee Cake Oatmeal?

4. Tina "The Book Lady" says:

I added your recipe to my Count Your Blessings Blog Hop. That way I can find it again! I’ve been looking for a good crockpot oatmeal recipe so thanks for sharing!

Tina “the book lady”

5. Your recipes are the best! :D

6. I love using my slow cooker, and while I love steel cut oatmeal, it makes me wonder why I would cook it in a slow cooker. Mainly becus you’re cooking it for 8 hours, hiking your electric/gas bill in the process, when this same recipe would be perfectly fine cooked for just 30 minutes on the stovetop.

I understand that many stew meats require long hours of cooking to tenderize, but that’s not the case with oatmeal. There is the convenience of having breakfast ready when you rise in the am but like a lot of people these days, i have to be very frugal and economize where I can.

Just wondering what your take on this is.

• Kathy Hester says:

Cooking in a slow cooker and cooking on the stove or in the oven are using different wattages depending on the appliance. So it’s not an apples to apples comparison.

But it really boils down to the fact a 1 1/2 quart slow cooker takes very little energy. I believe a small slow cooker’s energy use is closer to a light bulb than a stove top.

I can tell you that when I’m working on a book I use up to 6 slow cookers at the same time and cook up to 25 meals in a week and I do not notice a difference on my electric bill.

However, you should do what you feel is best for you. I’m sure you can do some research on Google and get the exact wattage and energy used, but be mindful to factor in different size slow cookers.

• I think the standard size for a slow cooker is 6 or 8 quarters, no? 1.5 quart seems incredibly small…didn’t even know they sold those…

• Kathy Hester says:

You can get them in most of the big box stores, Target or Walmart for instance. All of my recipes use a 4 quart as standard, though there are a few that use a 6 quart for making large batches. I find that a 6 or 8 quart slow cooker makes more food than my family can use, but they are great for really big families.

The 1 1/2 to 2 quart slow cookers are bigger than the little dippers that come with some slow cookers.

• And they are really cute too. But I usually double the recipe and just cook it in my 5-6 qt cooker (not real sure what the size is) and then while it’s still hot I portion it out into 1/2 pint (1cup) mason jars, pop the lid on and store them in the fridge for yummy oats all week long.

• Kathy Hester says:

That’s a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

• Kathy Hester says:
  7. This sounds wonderful! What would you suggest for those of us who only have a larger crock pot? Will it work to double the recipe? Or triple?

• Kathy Hester says:

Depending on the size of your slow cooker your can double or triple it. You could also get a 2 quart Pyrex bowl in your larger slow cooker, out water around the outside and cook the oatmeal inside the Pyrex.

8. Christina says:

Any idea what the calorie count is on this?

• Kathy Hester says:

No – I have no nutritionals on this. You could go to a site like sparkpeople.com and enter it in to get those details.