So for the first time in my brief, but intense, oatmeal career I am asking you to do something different from the picture. My vanilla Greek yogurt has met a sad demise and I didn’t know until this morning. (Feel free to leave your sympathy posts here.)
So I used what I had on hand – Pina Colada regular So Delicious yogurt. It’s not horrible with the carrots and orange, but it does clash somewhat with the cinnamon. It would be so much better with vanilla yogurt, and the Greek yogurt would make it taste just like cream cheese icing.
So, please do as I say and not as I do – in this case. You’ll be really glad you did.
This oatmeal is flecked with carrots, and tangy from the orange juice. You need the tart from the yogurt and a little vanilla to finish it off. Carrot cake for breakfast? I think so!
** Make sure to check out my other oatmeal recipes. I have over 40 different flavors!
Serves: 2 to 3
- ½ cup (40g) steel-cut oats
- 1 cup (250 ml) OJ (orange juice)
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 2 carrots, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- sweetener of choice, to taste (I used 1 packet Nu Stevia)
- 1 container Vanilla So Delicious Greek Yogurt (or regular So Delicious Yogurt)
- ¼ cup (30g) walnuts, chopped
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later. Add all the ingredients except the sweetener and toppings.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
- Stir your oatmeal well and add sweetener. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should be a more uniform consistency.
- Top with a large dollop of vegan yogurt and walnuts.
**See Page Link on Menu Bar to get to Slow Cooker Oatmeal FAQS)