I found some organic cherries hiding in the back of my fridge when I was cleaning the other day. I also had some Gardein Beefless Tips in the freezer. I thought why the heck not, and set out on one of my experiments. This was a very tasty one!
I know some people don’t like meat substitutes. If it’s not your cup of tea, use wheat gluten or steamed tempeh instead of the Gardein.
Make sure to be very careful when/if you cut the frozen beefless tips. You can thaw them first or just leave them whole if you prefer. I cut mine smaller just to make it go a little further.
If your family would not like the cherry chunks you can also purée the cherries and the wine together before you add it to the slow cooker.
Serves: Serves 4 with a big side of steamed veggies or a big salad (Serves 2 to 3 with no other sides.)
- 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and cut into quarters (can use frozen but thaw before cutting)
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 package (9 oz/255g) Gardein Beefless Tips, cut pieces carefully into thirds (or equivalent seitan)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 10 medium baby potatoes, sliced thickly
- ½ teaspoon to 1 teaspoon smoked salt (or plain salt)
- Ground pepper
- Pit and cut up the cherries and slice the beefless tips and store in fridge.
- Oil the crock. Layer the cherries on the bottom, followed by the wine and sprigs of herb, then top with beefless tips.
- Layer potato slices on top of the beefless tips so they can 'bake'.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 (or high for 3 to 4 hours).
- Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
This is very rich and goes well with a large serving of steamed seasonal veggies.