It’s spring and my thoughts turn to green smoothies in the morning. I’m not giving up on oatmeal, but I probably won’t be posting a new oatmeal everyday for a awhile. I’m going to try and post a few of my smoothies over at Busy vegan in the neat future.
I have experimented with a couple of savory oatmeals that tasted pretty good but look fairly disgusting. I think the secret to the savory is to top oats that you cook plain with a stew or steamed veggies like you would polenta. Cooking it all together in the slow cooker makes it too gooey and really unappetizing.
What you can look forward to is some small-scale stews and soups using seasonal ingredients. This means I have to really get my act together and cook regularly again. Once I’m out of the groove it takes dedication and planning to get back on a schedule.
Serves: 2 or 3
- ½ cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- ⅓ cup finely shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sweetener
- (I used agave)
- orange zest for topping
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add everything but sweetener and zest.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency.
- Stir in sweetener and top with orange zest.
**(See Page Link on Menu Bar to get to Slow Cooker Oatmeal FAQS)