I love making oatmeal that reminds me of favorite desserts. This tastes like a cake I had almost 20 years ago (or at least what it’s become in my mind). The banana and chocolate go perfectly with the flavor of the hazelnuts. This is really a simple oatmeal to throw together before you go to bed. You can toast the nuts the night before or in the morning.
I wouldn’t skip toasting the hazelnuts though, because I did and it wasn’t nearly as good. You can put them on a sheet pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Make sure not to forget about them, because nuts tend to burn quickly. I can’t count the amount of times I’ve spaced it – so I always set a timer. You can get fancy and rub the skins off the hazelnuts with a towel, but I say what’s a little more fiber in your diet?
If you really don’t want to deal with the nuts, leave out the chocolate and mix in about a tablespoon of Nutella instead. It’s not quite as healthy, but it will taste great!
Don’t forget to enter the So Delicious Giveaway. You can get all the details here.
Serves: 2 or 3
- ½ cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sweetener
- (I used agave)
- For serving: chopped toasted hazelnuts and chopped vegan chocolate chips
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add oats, milk, and vanilla.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency.
- Stir in sweetener and mashed banana.
- Top each serving with hazelnuts, chopped chocolate chips and more sliced bananas if desired.
**(See Page Link on Menu Bar to get to Slow Cooker Oatmeal FAQS)