Happy Monday everyone! The weekend here was a little gloomy until yesterday afternoon when the sun finally came out. It was amazing! I’m hoping for a little more sun today to keep me perky. There has definitely been too many blah days this past week. This time spring weather needs to come and stay!
This oatmeal may not look like much, but it tastes just like a Hot Cross Bun. I wasn’t quite awake when I made an icing for the picture and didn’t think about it melting on the hot oatmeal… I did sweeten it with some powdered sugar to stay in the flavor profile. It’s still much less sugar than a real Hot Cross Bun, but feel free to use stevia, agave, maple syrup – whichever one is your personal favorite.
This recipe is participating in Nourishing Gourmet’s Pennywise Platter. Go check out some of the other yummy dishes.
Serves: 2 or 3
- ½ cup Bob's Red Mill steel-cut oats
- 2 cups Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup dried mixed dried fruit (raisins, dates, figs, apricots, etc.)
- (I used Trader Joe's golden berry mix with raisins, cherries, cranberries, and blueberries mixed with raisins and chopped apricots.)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sweetener
- For serving: a dash of freshly grated nutmeg and orange or lemon zest
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add everything except sweetener, nutmeg, and citrus zest.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency.
- Stir in agave or other sweetener and top with nutmeg and citrus zest.
Don’t forget to enter the So Delicious Giveaway. It’s easy to enter and you can get all the details here.
**See Page Link on Menu Bar to get to Slow Cooker Oatmeal FAQS