This has a taste similar to red bean ice cream. I added a little extra sweetener for this one since I needed it to give it a sweeter feel.
If you (or anyone you live with) is a more traditional eater, adding the candied ginger makes it taste less beany. But if you like red bean ice cream you’ll really like this oatmeal.
You can always cook the beans ahead of time and purée them with some of the nondairy milk and sweetener. This will help picky eaters get on board with a Chinese dessert for breakfast (plus they won’t be able to pick them out…)!
The red beans adds iron, potassium, and an extra shot of protein to your morning bowl of oats. You could leave out the sweetener all together and make this a savory breakfast if you wanted to.
Serves: 2 or 3
- ½ cup Bob's Red Mill steel-cut oats (they have a gluten-free one as well)
- 2 cups Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- ¼ cup dried adzuki beans
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sweetener
- (I used vanilla sugar)
- diced candied ginger for garnish (optional)
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add everything but sweetener and the optional candied ginger.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency.
- Stir in sweetener and top with optional diced candied ginger.
**(See Page Link on Menu Bar to get to Slow Cooker Oatmeal FAQS)