Berries are one of my favorite fruits and I love balsamic vinegar in sweet and savory dishes. In fact, I love it so much that friends give me fun flavors of balsamic for gifts, so I’ve accumulated a wide range of them. I love fig balsamic which is one I would have never bought myself. If you have some on hand it’s great with strawberries, and in this oatmeal.
In the spring I look forward to all the strawberry balsamic dessert and sweet breakfast dishes that all the cretive chefs start making. This is my oatmeal interpretation.
Serves: 2 or 3
- ½ cup steel-cut oats
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup chopped strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sweetener
- (I used agave)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar per serving per your taste (try fig balsamic if you have some on hand)
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add everything except sweetener and balsamic.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency. The berries will have floated to the top of the crock. Just smash them a little with the spoon while you're mixing the pot to incorporate them into the mix. Stir in sweetener and drizzle with balsamic.
**(See Page Link on Menu Bar to get to Slow Cooker Oatmeal FAQS)