I was going to make an oatmeal with rosewater, but I can’t find it anywhere! (It is somewhere in my house and has only been used once a few months ago.) I used lavender instead to get that sweet floral note. Vanilla also tastes floral to me, so I amped it up with extract, vanilla bean paste, and vanilla yogurt.
When you use whole vanilla beans make sure to keep the pod after you scrape out the paste. Stick them in a jar and cover with sugar and seal it tight. In no time you’ll have your very own batch of vanilla sugar. Just keep adding more sugar as you use it, the pods will keep scenting for multiple batches.
(I did run by Whole Foods to get more rosewater, so stand by for an oatmeal with it later in the week.)
Serves: 2 to 3 servings
- ½ cup Bob's Red Mill steel-cut oats (they have a gluten-free one as well)
- 2 cups Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon culinary lavender (food grade)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sweetener
- (I used vanilla sugar)
- vanilla creme topping:
- 3 tablespoons Vanilla So Delicious Coconut Yogurt mixed with the paste scraped out of ½ vanilla bean
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add oats, milk, lavender and vanilla extracts.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency.
- Stir in sweetener.
- Top each serving with the vanilla creme topping. It will add sweetness and extra vanilla flavor.
**(See Page Link on Menu Bar to get to Slow Cooker Oatmeal FAQS)