It’s day 7 of love your oatmeal week! This has some elements of the Almond Joy oatmeal, but this time we’ll be topping our oatmeal with a decadent pecan, coconut, caramel ‘icing’. If you need to have a lower key (or calorie) breakfast just sweeten with your favorite sweetener and top with chopped pecans and coconut.
I wasn’t feeling very good yesterday so this is my sweet treat for going back to work. That’s why it’s the oatmeal of incentive to me!
Slow Cooker German Chocolate Cake Oatmeal
2 to 3 servings
**This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker that’s 1 1/2 to 2 quarts
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk (only 50 calories a cup!)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded unsweetened coconut (I used reduced fat organic)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons finely grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
The night before: Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later. Add everything except icing ingredients to the slow cooker. Now mix together the ‘icing’ in a small bowl and store in the fridge until the morning. Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
In the morning: Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency. Top each serving with a few tablespoons of the icing, making it as sweet as you like it.