Welcome to day 2 of love your oatmeal week! The taste of orange and vanilla together bring back childhood memories of hot summer afternoons. You can almost feel the sticky on your hands from your melted push-up (if you close your eyes). Why did those things always leak anyhow?
Serves: 2 or 3
- ½ cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups orange juice (use low acid if you have a sensitive stomach)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sweetener
- (This will vary on the sweetness or sourness of your OJ)
- For serving: finely grated orange zest and the scraped insides of ⅓ a vanilla bean
- So Delicious Coconut Milk (Unsweetened or Vanilla)
- (Use less sugar if you're going to use vanilla coconut milk)
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add everything except sugar and for serving ingredients.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency.
- Stir in sweetener and vanilla paste scraped from inside of a whole vanilla bean.
- Top each serving with orange zest and mix in some Vanilla So Delicious Coconut Milk. (I was worried that it would curdle in the OJ, but I'm eating a bowl with it now and it worked great. If you're having doubts, try adding a tablespoon coconut milk to a few tablespoons oatmeal first. That way if it doesn't work for you, all is not lost)!
**See Page Link on Menu Bar to get to Slow Cooker Oatmeal FAQS)