I can’t get off my soup streak. Cheap, full of nutrition, warming – what more can you ask from a one pot meal? I’m working on using up things that I already have on hand. It’s economical and makes it easy to throw together
I’ve found a ton of yummy whole grains in the pantry, so I’m incorporating more in my meal planning. I really need to stick to my grocery budget, so this seems to be the way to go! I have declared 2011 the year of organizing at my house. Wish me luck!
- 10 ounces mushrooms , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ cup barley
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Chick'n Bouillon
- 1 teaspoon thyme (or 2 sprigs fresh thyme)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut up all the veggies and store together in a container in the fridge.
- Add all ingredients except salt and pepper to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, also add more thyme if needed.
- Add more water if the soup is thicker than you like.