Since there seems to be no end for wintry weather this year here’s another oatmeal recipe to warm you up.
Slow Cooker Chai Oatmeal
Serves: 2 or 3
**This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker 1½ to 2 quarts
- ½ cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract (or vanilla paste)
- sweetener to taste (I used about 2 tablespoon agave nectar)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
The night before:
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add everything except for the sweetener and fresh ginger.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
In the morning:
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should be a more uniform consistency.
- Stir in sweetener and add spices to suit your tastes.
- Add more almond milk if your oatmeal is too thick. Put in bowls or a thermos.