Beyond Easy Slow Cooker Apple Pie Oatmeal

Welcome Money Saving Moms from MoneySavingMom.com! Make sure to enter the latest giveaway to win some great coupons do So Delicious products. Just follow this link and leave a comment on the Gingerbread Latte post.

I have fallen back into my winter obsession with oatmeal. It’s just too easy to make in a slow cooker and I can just throw it into a thermos and go to work. Though I love waking up on a Saturday morning to the ease of it too.  Not only does oatmeal taste yummy, but it’s even good for you!

There are a few things to keep in mind when you are cooking oatmeal in a slow cooker. The most important is to use steel cut oats and not rolled oats. Steal cut can hold up to an 8  hour plus cooking time much better than rolled oats. I’ve heard horror stories of waking up to burnt rolled oats.

If you are concerned about clean up, spray the crock with a little oil before adding the ingredients. But be aware that even if you spray your crock with oil some oatmeal will still stick to the sides. To clean it out simply fill it with water in the morning. It will come out easily that evening. I fill mine with water, then drain off the excess water and give my dog the oatmeal that was stuck to the sides. She loves it and it’s good for her coat.

You can add the spices the night before, but you will need to add extra in the morning. So if you’re on a tight budget I’d just add them in the morning. I like to wake up to a wonderful smelling house so I add them the night before.

Unfortunately slow cookers run at different temperatures depending on age and manufacturer. So there is some trial and error in getting everything just right for your slow cooker. I have one newer model that I add some extra water to and 2 others that use this recipes just fine as is. If you think you might sleep in go ahead and add a little extra water then too.

You can also use almond milk as your liquid. Just be mindful that if your applesauce has citric acid or lemon juice it will be a curdled mess. So make sure to check the ingredients before doing that. If you find yourself with no applesauce on hand you can add 1 apple that’s been peeled, cored, and cut into smallish chunks. You will be able to mash it with the back of a wooden spoon in the morning.

** Make sure to check out my other oatmeal recipes. I have almost 40 different flavors!

Apple Pie Oatmeal

2 to 3 servings

**This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker 1 1/2 to 2 quarts

• 1/2 cup steel cut oats
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
  • 1 to 2 pinches allspice
  • 1 to 2 pinches cloves
  • sweetener to taste (I use about 1 tablespoon agave nectar)
  • Toppings for serving: granola, walnuts, raisins, or pecans

The night before: Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later. Add oats, water, and applesauce. Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).

In the morning: Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should be a more uniform consistency.  Stir in sweetener and add spices to suit your tastes (the amounts are just guidelines). Put in bowls (or a thermos) and top with what you are in the mood for that day. Granola makes it seem more like a pie since it adds a little crunch.

Pear sauce, all fruit jam, and flavored applesauces can be used in place of the plain applesauce. It’s one if the easiest ways to get creative with your morning oatmeal routine!

Comments

1. Oatmeal obsession is a good obsession, right? Right! This looks wonderful and delicious. Thanks for sharing :)

2. Hey! Great recipe. Thanks for being part of the carnival. If you could just link back to the carnival, that would be great.

3. I really have to give slow-cooked oatmeal a try. I’ve heard so much about it, and yours looks really good!

4. ericascime says:

Wow, this is a fabulous idea! Can’t wait to try it!

5. this looks fabulously easy
    and oh-so-yummy

thanks for sharing!

alison

6. Hannah Hurey says:

I am going to use this weekend while camping…thanks!

7. I don’t have a smaller slow cooker – just a standard size. Can this be doubled then the leftovers kept in the fridge for a few days?

• Kathy Hester says:

Lisa,

You can absolutely double it and it keeps fine in the fridge or even the freezer if you want to freeze up some single servings.

If you have a really large slow cooker (over 5 quarts) you may want to triple it to fill your crock up to your manufacturer’s specification. (They vary from 1/2 – 3/4 full.)

I hope this help!

Kathy

8. I see your recipie calls for steel cut oats, I however have an abundance of quaker old fashioned oats I picked up for about $0.25 a piece with coupons a few months back. What are your thoughts on using these instead. I usually only sleep about 5 hours, so maybe a low setting (my slowcooker has high, med, & low ). Then to keep an eye on it when I wake. Or do you think that It would burn in that short ammount of time???

Candice

• Kathy Hester says:

Candice,

Don’t you just love a bargain? I don’t know of anyone who had great luck with them. With that said, if I were you I’d try this:

1. Oil the crock well before putting in the oatmeal in case it does cook too much. That way at least clean up will be easier if it does cook too much.

2. Add an addition 1/2 to 1 cup of water so that it will be harder for it to cook dry. It could take more than this, but that’s where I would start.

3. Cook it less time. So I think you 5 hours is a good place to start. You could also cook your test batch when you are home to time when they are done.

Once you know how much water and how much time your set for all your future batches.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Kathy

• Candice Jacobs says:

Thanks Kathy!
        I’m home all day today so I’m gonna give it a try! I will be sure to post the results (good or bad) for others benefit.

• Candice Jacobs says:

Hi Kathy, & All,
        I tried this recipie with old fashioned oats. It worked great for a shorter time. I doubled the recipie and added 1 extra cup of water to the entire batch (1/2 cup extra if you do not double) It worked great!!! I let it cook 5 1/2 hours. I left the slow cooker on in the morning to see how long I could continue to let it cook. It started to boil slightly at 6 1/2 hours but still nothing was burned. Hope this helps anyone who happens to fall on a deal for old fashioned oats. Thanks for a wonderful recipe Kathy My 2 year old son who won’t eat anything, ate 2 very large bowls this morning!!!

9. Your oatmeal recipes make me sooooo happy! Thanks for all your hard work :)

10. I make mine in the slow cooker using a water bath. I use my big slow cooker and sit a small casserole in with all the ingredients in in for the amount of oats I plan on making. I then pour my water around it filling at least half way to the top of the casserole and cover and cook overnight. No messy clean up or burnt on oat meal should it cook too long.