Creamy, garlicky potatoes are a favorite anytime, but it’s a great dish to bring to a holiday dinner. It’s as rich as the original – in fact, no one will suspect it’s vegan unless you tell them! Fancy up this dish and make it au gratin. Just add some shredded vegan cheddar in between the layers of potatoes (but not on top of the casserole). About 30 minutes before serving put some more cheddar on top of the casserole.
- 2 pounds (915g) organic potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (256g) cashews
- 1 cup (58g) nutritional yeast
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1½ cup (375ml) unsweetened non-dairy milk (*use rice or almond milk, etc. - just not soy to make it soy free)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- pepper to taste
- Slice potatoes. You don't have to peel them if you use organic, but do peel if they are conventional.
- In a food processor or blender combine the sauce ingredients.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Store mixture and sliced potatoes in separate containers in the fridge overnight.
- Pour ⅓ of the sauce on the bottom of an oiled crock.
- Layer ⅓ of the potatoes then pour on another ⅓ of the sauce and repeat with the last of the potatoes ending with the sauce.
- Cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
You can certainly make this dish in one sitting instead of spreading it out over the night and morning. Especially if you’re making it for tday.