I’m back! The good news is that I wasn’t writing here because I had so many writing gigs. I’m ready to get back to writing my own stuff and cooking in my slow cooker too. Thank all of you for your support and visiting the site while I was away!
Serves: Serves about 6 with rice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, washed, chopped, and spun dry
- 11⁄2 cups (338 g) yellow split peas
- 4 cups (940 ml) water
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion with the garam masala, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, and salt until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Combine the cut-up vegetables in a separate airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
- Combine the sautéed onion, sweet potato, split peas, and water in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving, add the chard and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings.