Some days I only have 10 minutes to start some in the slow cooker before I rush off to work. This is a soup that you can make no matter what veggies you have on hand. I also keep a few bags of frozen veggies that I can use in a pinch. After all, a healthy soup is better than any take out you can find!
Make it Asian style with a little soy sauce and fresh grated ginger. You can even top off your creation with a little sesame oil before serving.
You can serve it as a chunky soup or purée if you want a creamy soup. Add in parsnips, potato, or cauliflower if you want to make it look like a cream soup with none of the fat or calories!
Try a few of these combos:
- sweet potato and ginger
- curried cauliflower carrot
- chunky Mexican chowder
- celery root and pear
- parsnip and apple
- and of course mixed veg soup with diced tomatoes
- About 4 - 6 cups mixed veggies (can be fresh or frozen), chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups veggie broth or filtered water
- your favorite herbs and spices
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and cut up any fresh veggies you are using.
- Put everything in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Add green peas or other quick cooking veggies now. This is also the time to add any pre-cooked grains or pasta you may want to throw in.