You can get bean mixes at any supermarket. Many bags of mixed beans have a ham seasoning packet in them. Sometimes they are labeled as if they have meat in them, but they don’t. Just discard the powder ham packet and get to cooking some vegetarian soup!
I use one of my favorite ingredients in this recipe – Garlic Tabasco. It’s not as spicy as regular Tabasco, but adds a great flavor to soups. It’s not as easy to find, but you can order some online. Try this store locator on the Tabasco site to see if there is any near you. They don’t carry it near me anymore, but I have friends that can bring it to me from Louisiana. I’m a lucky girl!
Slow Cooker Bunch of Beans Soup (gluten-free)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 6 – 8 hours
- 1 package 16 bean mix (or 16 oz. mix of any beans that you have)
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 – 8 cups filtered water
- 1 Tb Better than Bouillon Not-Chicken Flavor (or use veggie broth to replace the filtered water)
- 1 Tb Cajun Seasoning Blend (make your own with these recipes)
- 1 tsp. Liquid Smoke
- 1 tsp. Garlic Tabasco
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
- 1- 15 oz can Muir Glenn fire roasted tomatoes (crushed or diced)
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Onion, minced
- 1 Bell pepper, diced
The night before: Chop all the veggies and put in the fridge until the morning. Add the beans, water, and bay leaves into the slow cooker. Cook on low overnight.
In the morning: Add more water if needed. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Serve with a big hunk of cornbread.