I’m trying to get my other half to eat more fruit so the first thought is having it as dessert. I love liquor in my desserts, but you could leave it out if you don’t imbibe. Of course, the healthiest way to eat an apple is to grab a fresh one and go to it. But desperate situations require tasty desperate solutions!
Slow Cooker Drunken Apples (gluten-free)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 6 – 8 hours
This recipe uses a 1 to 1.5 quart slow cooker
- 4 apples, cored and sliced
- 1 Tb brown sugar
- 2 – 3 tangerines, juiced (or about 1/2 cup OJ)
- 1/2 lime, juiced (or lemon)
- 1 shot rum (I used a darker rum)
- 1/2 shot Navan (A vanilla liquor) or Amaretto or Triple Sec
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. marjoram (substitute basil if you need to)
In the morning: Prepare the apples, juice the tangerines and lime and put everything in the slow cooker. Many of these have no temperature control so they cook everything on low. If you leave the alcohol out, you may want to add some fruit juice or water.
Serve by itself, over low-fat vanilla ice cream (try Soy Delicious – I love the coconut milk one) , over a whole wheat cupcake, even on your oatmeal for a special treat.