I love tortilla soup and it’s hard to find a good vegetarian version when you’re out. So this is just another excuse to stay in and save some more money. Serve it with a salad topped with black beans, green chilies, and salsa to make a complete meal.
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 1 medium onions, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 28 oz. organic tomatoes (diced, crushed, or whole)
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 Tb cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ avocado, chopped
- ¼ cup tequila
- The night before: Chop onions and mince the garlic. How easy is that for prep work? Optional: Saute in olive oil then store in fridge until tomorrow.
- In the morning: Add everything but the avocado and tequila. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours. About a half hour or so before serving, stir in lime juice, tequila, and adjust . Puree with an immersion blender.
- Chop avocado and toss with extra lime juice and a little chili powder.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro, avocado, and strips of *baked tortilla strips or *crushed chips.