This recipe is so easy that you can fit it into your schedule, no matter how busy you are. The great thing about using a slow cooker is you put in about 15 minutes at night to prep for the morning – where you put in about 10 more minutes. That takes less time than driving to a restaurant to eat out!
- 1 bag of split peas (about 2 - 3 cups)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 potato, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tb dried thyme (or a few sprigs of fresh)
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning (use salt-free f possible)
- 1 tsp chipolte powder
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 7 cups filtered water or veggie broth
- Chop the veggies into medium-sized cubes. Peel the potatoes and carrots if they are not organic.
- Mince the garlic.
- Throw everything in your slow cooker and cook for 8 hours on low.
- Taste to see if you need to adjust seasonings. You may need to add a little salt.
- Purée with an immersion blender.
- Serve topped with croutons and chopped vegan bacon.